Sunday 8 October 2017

When mum's the word...

Well, we live in a very dynamic age and there is so much I would like to talk about - but can't as an employee of the state. I was recently reminded that by law, public servants are unable comment openly on matters of policy or administration, unless designated to do so.

Yes, employers like loyalty - and being loyal is highly commendable. Nobody likes a whistle-blower - but then how would all of those corporate abuses have been discovered in the international business environment a few years ago?

Frankly, an individual should be entitled to speak his/her mind (without disclosing state secrets) on matters of concern. No-one agrees with every decision made by the government of the day...or an employer's for that matter. Sometimes one has to sacrifice for the good of the state. Sometimes one disagrees with the approach that an administration is pursuing.  Leaders need to understand it's not a personal attack, and when it is that should not be, so commentators should not make it personal.

So instead of commenting on what I agree or disagree with, I'm showing photos of my Fleurs des Antilles collection from back in 1991/92 - when I dabbled in fashion design. For those who do not know, I am trained in Fashion Design but my interest has always been theatre-costume design for which there is no market in Barbados. So, I was happy to do fashion writing for a time.

I intentionally cropped out most of the models' faces as I have no idea what's become of them over the last 25 years. The only faces shown are two models in my actual graduation collection as that was a matter of public record.

Presenting Fleurs Des Antilles...

The graduation collection
 

Beaded tube dresses and flouncy satin


White velvet


Black velvet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Appreciate that you read the blog.

The Colour of Crop Over 2024

Greetings to my faithful readers.  I'll be celebrating 4,700 views soon after posting this page.  So I'm thanking all who'll vis...