Thursday 12 July 2018

Summer In Barbados Is Party Time!

A warm hello from sunny Barbados to my many readers from around the world. My posts have been sporadic of late. Life happens. 

'Tis the season for feting can't done - well for younger people. At my age and stage of life, I might injure myself! 😄 Summer in Barbados means party-time, Crop Over, or the Sweetest Summer Festival, as the National Cultural Foundation dubs it. 

ncf.bb photo promoting the annual Crop Over Festival

So I am dedicating this entry to this island's biggest party, Crop Over. The season features calypso competitions, parties and costumed revellery - culminating with Grand Kadooment on August 6, 2018, which is a parade of costumed bands. If you do not believe me, you can read the West Jet Magazine article on Barbados' premier festival.

July 6, 2018, was the first officially judged event - the International Bashment Soca Competition, won by the inimitable Lil Rick. An entertainer dominating the party scene for nearly 30 years, the older man proved that even in this newer genre he can emerge champion over the youngsters.

LIL RICK: 2018 International Bashment Soca Winner

It is not my fave genre; still the song is catchy and you can check his winning performance followed by a nice interview by him in the link above.  Caution: Twerking warning at the beginning of the video!! My style of music is more staid, so Marvay is again singing one that I do not mind listening to this season. I appreciate the lyrics for the season it is. A very sweet-voiced youngster he is.

Marvay ~ At Large “2018 Soca” (Barbados) [Red Boyz] {Credit: JulianspromosTV| 2018 Music}

Of course, the lyrical master and cultural ambassador Red Plastic Bag (RPB), has what I consider the sweetest calypso of the season, I Am Alive. It's inspirational so it's not likely to be very popular this season, except among the mature crowd.  So, I love it. 💕💕 

Red Plastic Bag “RPB” ~ I’m Alive (Crop Over 2018) [Credit: Alwyn Kirk (June 2018)]

Although RPB is the reigning Sweet Soca Monarch, he has opted not to defend the title and has withdrawn from competing, having won Road March and Sweet Soca titles more than once and the Calypso Crown multiple times from the 1980's through to the first decade of this century. 

Other inspirational work by younger artistes are: "Superstar" by Sir Ruel, a former Junior Calypso Monarch and finalist in the Pic-O-De-Crop (the social commentary calypso competition) and Donella. 
N.B. As the only clip of "Superstar" is on Sir Ruel's Facebook page, the link will only be accessed by persons with a Facebook account. 

As for Donella, one of the best female voices for rendering calypso. Check her audio for this year:

Donella ~ Pray for de Children [Credit: Mr. Richard Antonio (May 2018)]

And on that note, I wish Bajans everywhere, A Happy Crop Over!! 🎊🎊 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Appreciate that you read the blog.

The Colour of Crop Over 2024

Greetings to my faithful readers.  I'll be celebrating 4,700 views soon after posting this page.  So I'm thanking all who'll vis...