Thursday 30 November 2017

Just For Independence Day 2017

Today, as Barbados celebrates our 51st anniversary of Independence with a very special tribute to our global hip-hop queen #Rihanna with the renaming of the street where she grew up from Westbury New Road to Rihanna Drive, I didn't plan to write much. Instead I'm sharing some homegrown vocals of various genres.

I'll begin with what for many years was my favourite Barbadian song ever. It's still a classic for me. It's "Emmerton" by the maestro and national cultural ambassador, Anthony "Gabby"Carter, who can do the most amazing vocal gymnastics. This song is a lyrical tribute to a street in Bridgetown where he grew up:


    The Mighty Gabby doing what he does so well - singing and playing guitar

For me, he remains a true king in Barbados' calypso arena, John King, now a political aspirant. In this introspective, inspirational song, he laments violence in society. It's as fresh now as it was when first released 20 years ago!

                                               John King: How Many More

This lead singer has one of the sweetest soca voices and this is the song that made me a fan...around 25 years ago.  Yes, back in the days of vinyl records. I'm sure there was an official video for this, but haven't located it online. 😞

                                   
                                        The Splashband: Get Busy Get Behind the Truck

Then there is the party band of my heydey, Spice & Co. (Yes, I used to party like most youngsters do eventually...just my crowd was somewhat more refined than the bohemianism of today). That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 😉 This was one of their biggest party hits: "In de Congaline".


Spice & Company from way back when
                          
So, to celebrate Barbados' Independence, I give you this one from last year that's now growing on me - "Independence Day" by iWeb, the reigning calypso monarch of Barbados, and Nikita, who did a first-class cover of Rihanna's "Love on The Brain" at the renaming ceremony today. 

                                              
                                                 Independence Day

Just to show that amazing songs aren't just in the secular realm, check these out:
This young man released his debut album #1st John earlier this year, and I made sure I got a copy. Too many of my faves by him were on it to miss. Appreciated that he autographed it too. 😇😇

                                         
                                                     Release the Soundz

This song is by a young woman who used to sing soca and then she gave her life to Christ and showed that change of heart with this beautiful rendition:


                                                 Keann Walters' I Am Amazed

As Independence Day 2017 closes, I could not sign off without this invocation:
 
                                                 
                                                 Nicovia: Tek Ova

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Appreciate that you read the blog.

The Colour of Crop Over 2024

Greetings to my faithful readers.  I'll be celebrating 4,700 views soon after posting this page.  So I'm thanking all who'll vis...