Sunday 10 December 2017

Christmas Humour

Wishing everyone the joy and peace of Christmas this year.

Today I'll share a few of the more humourous Barbadian Christmas tunes. Some will surely bring a smile to your face - after all we need a light moment amid the hassle and hustle that invariably comes with Christmas.

As I didn't feature Barbados' lyrical master in my Independence Day tribute to Bajan music, I'll start with the "Bajanised" (yes, I'm coining a word, that's why I studied linguistics 😉) version of Mummy kissing Santa Claus - except that it's not Mommy but Maizie, a chap's girlfriend. This one warrants a chuckle.


                      Red plastic Bag: "Maizie" (Credit: Bajanbloom Bloom)

Clearly Maizie totally bamboozled (that's a Bajanism for completely fooling someone) her local sweetheart.

If you're in the cold, a punch a crema would warm the insides. Here's Barbados' first major musical ambassadors with "Drink A Rum" - and for those who've not yet heard, rum was first produced in Barbados apparently.

                   The Merrymen: "Drink A Rum" (Credit: Edward Spencer)

Well, this one by Sach Moore and the Sandpebbles is very funny - it doesn't show Bajan women in a nice light however, so feminists will cringe and may complain that this form of quid pro quo is really the world's oldest profession for a woman. Still, the music is sweet for days!!

 
Sach Moore & The Sandpebbles: "Wha Yuh Gotta Gimme Fuh Christmas?" (Credit: bajanmusicfan).

The modern version of this is by Eric Lewis of MADD, a local comedy group, also popular for their Crop Over contributions. He declared: "She Mistake Me Fuh Santa Claus." I always thought it was "she musee tek me fuh Santa Claus"!

                  Eric Lewis: "She Mistake Me Fuh Santa Claus" (Credit: bwe music)

If you're thinking Bajans too commercial with this Christmas thing, two of our most beautiful voices have the right spirit for the season...I've declared myself a Biggie fan, so enjoy his reggae version of "Little Drummer Boy".

         Geoffrey "Biggie Irie" Cordel: Little Drummer Boy: (Credit: Bajanbloom Bloom)

And here is Tamara Marshall, who began singing gospel and then moved on to more secular material. She sings: "Do You  Hear what I Hear?"

                     Tamara Marshall: Do You Hear What I Hear? (Credit: bwe music)

I'll sign off with the Merrymen's "Happy Birthday Jesus" to show we know the reason for the season isn't gifts and themed parties but the entrance into our time of the Saviour of the World. "For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3: 16).
 
                  The Merrymen: Happy Birthday Jesus (Credit: Bajanbloom Bloom)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Appreciate that you read the blog.

The Colour of Crop Over 2024

Greetings to my faithful readers.  I'll be celebrating 4,700 views soon after posting this page.  So I'm thanking all who'll vis...